Saturday 24 August 2019

Mass Readings - Sunday, 25th August 2019

FIRST READING
A reading from the Book of Isaiah     66:18-21
They will bring all your brothers from all the nations.

The Lord says this: I am coming to gather the nations of every language.
They shall come to witness my glory. I will give them a sign and send some of
their survivors to the nations: to Tarshish, Put, Lud, Moshech, Rosh, Tubal, and
Javan, to the distant islands that have never heard of me or seen my glory.
They will proclaim my glory to the nations. As an offering to the Lord they will
bring all your brothers, on horses, in chariots, in litters, on mules, on
dromedaries, from all the nations to my holy mountain in Jerusalem, says the
Lord, like Israelites bringing oblations in clean vessels to the Temple of the
Lord. And of some of them I will make priests and Levites, says the Lord.

The Word of the Lord.



Responsorial Psalm     Ps 116
Response:    Go out to the whole world and proclaim the Good News.

1. O praise the Lord, all you nations,
acclaim him all you peoples! Response

2. Strong is his love for us;
he is faithful for ever. Response




SECOND READING
A reading from the letter of St Paul to the Hebrews    12:5-7
The Lord trains the one that he loves.

Have you forgotten that encouraging text in which you are addressed as
sons? My son, when the Lord corrects you, do not treat it lightly; but do not
get discouraged when he reprimands you. For the Lord trains the ones that
he loves and he punishes all those that he acknowledges as his sons.
Suffering is part of your training; God is treating you as his sons. Has there
ever been any son whose father did not train him? Of course, any
punishment is most painful at the time, and far from pleasant; but later, in
those on whom it has been used, it bears fruit in peace and goodness. So
hold up your limp arms and steady your trembling knees and smooth out the
path you tread; then the injured limb will not be wrenched, it will grow strong
again.

The Word of the Lord.



Gospel Acclamation    Jn 14: 23
Alleluia, alleluia!
If anyone loves me he will keep my word, and my Father will love him,
and we shall come to him.
Alleluia!

Or Jn 14: 6

Alleluia, alleluia!
I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, says the Lord;
no one can come to the Father except through me.
Alleluia!



GOSPEL
A reading from the Gospel according to Luke    13:22-30
People from east and west will come to take their places at the feast in the
kingdom of God.

Through towns and villages he went teaching, making his way to Jerusalem.
Someone said to him, ‘Sir, will there be only a few saved?’ He said to them,
‘Try your best to enter by the narrow door, because, I tell you, many will try
to enter and will not succeed.
‘Once the master of the house has got up and locked the door, you may
find yourself knocking on the door, saying, “Lord, open to us” but he will
answer, “I do not know where you come from”. Then you will find yourself
saying, “We once ate and drank in your company; you taught in our streets”
but he will reply, “I do not know where you come from. Away from me, all
you wicked men !”
‘Then there will be weeping and grinding of teeth, when you see Abraham
and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and
yourselves turned outside. And men from east and west, from north and
south, will come to take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God.
‘Yes, there are those now last who will be first, and those now first who will be
last.’

The Gospel of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment