Saturday 2 May 2020

Mass Readings - Sunday, 03rd May 2020

FIRST  READING 
A reading  from  the  Acts  of  the  Apostles     2:14.  36-41

God has  made  him  both  Lord  and  Christ.’ 

On the  day  of  Pentecost  Peter  stood  up  with  the  Eleven  and addressed  them  in  a  loud  voice:  ‘The  whole  House  of  Israel  can  be certain  that  God  has  made  this  Jesus  whom  you  crucified  both  Lord and  Christ.‘ Hearing  this,  they  were  cut  to  the  heart  and  said  to  Peter  and  the apostles,  ‘What  must  we  do,  brothers?’  ‘You  must  repent,’  Peter answered  ‘and  every  one  of  you  must  be  baptised  in  the  name  of Jesus  Christ  for  the  forgiveness  of  your  sins,  and  you  will  receive  the gift  of  the  Holy  Spirit.  The  promise  that  was  made  is  for  you  and  your children,  and  for  all  those  who  are  far  away,  for  all  those  whom  the Lord  our  God  will  call  to  himself.’  He  spoke  to  them  for  a  long  time using  many  arguments,  and  he  urged  them,  ‘Save  yourselves  from this  perverse  generation’. They  were  convinced  by  his  arguments,  and  they  accepted  what  he said  and  were  baptised.  That  very  day  about  three  thousand  were added  to  their  number.

The  Word  of  the  Lord. 


Responsorial  Psalm    Ps  22 

Response:        The  Lord  is  my  shepherd;  there  is  nothing  I  shall  want. 

1. The  Lord  is  my  shepherd; there  is  nothing  I  shall  want. Fresh  and  green  are  the  pastures where  he  gives  me  repose. Near  restful  waters  he  leads  me, to  revive  my  drooping  spirit.             

2. He  guides  me  along  the  right  path; he  is  true  to  his  name. If  I  should  walk  in  the  valley  of  darkness no  evil  would  I  fear. You  are  there  with  your  crook  and  your  staff; with  these  you  give  me  comfort.       

3. You have  prepared  a  banquet  for  me in  the  sight  of  my  foes. My head  you  have  anointed  with  oil; my cup is  overflowing.   
                     
4. Surely  goodness  and  kindness  shall  follow  me all  the  days  of  my  life. In  the  Lord’s  own  house  shall  I  dwell for  ever  and  ever.     


                         
SECOND  READING     
A  reading  from  the  first  letter  of  St  Peter      2:20-25      

You  have  come back to the  shepherd  of  your  souls.  

The  merit,  in  the  sight  of  God,  is  in  bearing  it  patiently  when  you  are punished  after  doing  your  duty.  This,  in  fact,  is  what  you  were  called to  do,  because  Christ  suffered  for  you  and  left  an  example  for  you  to follow  the  way  he  took.  He  had  not  done  anything  wrong,  and  there had  been  no  perjury  in  his  mouth.  He  was  insulted  and  did  not retaliate  with  insults;  when  he  was  tortured  he  made  no  threats  but he  put  his  trust  in  the  righteous  judge.  He  was  bearing  our  faults  in  his own  body  on  the  cross,  so  that  we  might  die  to  our  faults  and  live  for holiness;  through  his  wounds  you  have  been  healed.  You  had  gone astray  like  sheep  but  now  you  have  come  back  to  the  shepherd  and guardian  of  your  souls.

The Word  of  the  Lord. 



Gospel  Acclamation     Jn  10:  14      
Alleluia,  alleluia! 
I am the good  shepherd;  I  know  my  own and  my own know me.
Alleluia


GOSPEL 

reading  from  the  Gospel  according  to  John     10:1-10 

Jesus said  ‘I  tell  you  most  solemnly,  anyone  who  does  not  enter  the sheepfold  through  the  gate,  but  gets  in  some  other  way  is  a  thief and  a  brigand.  The  one  who  enters  through  the  gate  is  the  shepherd of  the  flock;  the  gatekeeper  lets  him  in,  the  sheep  hear  his  voice, one  by  one  he calls  his  own  sheep  and  leads  them  out.  When  he  has brought  out  his  flock,  he  goes  ahead  of  them,  and  the  sheep  follow because  they  know  his  voice.  They  never  follow  a  stranger  but  run away  from  him:  they  do  not  recognise  the  voice  of  strangers.’ Jesus  told  them  this  parable  but  they  failed  to  understand  what  he meant  by  telling  it  to  them.  So  Jesus  spoke  to  them  again: ‘I  tell  you  most  solemnly, I  am the gate  of  the  sheepfold. All  others  who  have  come are  thieves  and  brigands; but  the  sheep  took  no  notice  of  them I  am the gate. Anyone  who  enters  through  me  will  be  safe: he  will  go  freely  in  and  out and  be  sure  of  finding  pasture. The  thief  comes  only  to  steal  and  kill  and  destroy. I  have  come  so  that  they  may  have life and  have  it  to  the  full.

The Gospel of  the  Lord. 


No comments:

Post a Comment