Saturday 23 May 2020

Mass Readings - Sunday, 24th May 2020

FIRST READING
A reading from the Acts of the Apostles    1: 12-14
All joined in continuous prayer

After Jesus was taken up into heaven, the apostles went back from
the Mount of Olives, as it is called, to Jerusalem, a short distance
away, no more than a sabbath walk; and when they reached the
city they went to the upper room where they were staying; there
were Peter and John, James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas,
Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus and Simon the
Zealot, and Jude son of James. All these joined in continuous prayer,
together with several women, including Mary the mother of Jesus,
and with his brothers.

The Word of the Lord.



Responsorial Psalm    Ps 26

Response: I am sure I shall see the Lord’s goodness
in the land of the living.

1. The Lord is my light and my
help; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
before whom shall I shrink?

I am sure I shall see the Lord’s goodness
in the land of the living.

2. There is one thing I ask of the Lord,
for this I long to live in the house of the Lord,
all the days of my life,
to savour the sweetness of the Lord, to behold his temple.

I am sure I shall see the Lord’s goodness
in the land of the living.

3. O Lord, hear my voice when I call;
have mercy and answer.
Of you my heart has spoken:
“Seek his face.”

I am sure I shall see the Lord’s goodness
in the land of the living.



SECOND READING
A reading from the first letter of St Peter    4: 13-16
It is a blessing for you when they insult you for bearing the name of
Christ

If you can have some share in the sufferings of Christ, be glad,
because you will enjoy a much greater gladness when his glory is
revealed. It is a blessing for you when they insult you for bearing the
name of Christ, because it means that you have the Spirit of glory,
the Spirit of God resting on you.
None of you should ever deserve to suffer for being a murderer, a
thief, a criminal or an informer; but if anyone of you should suffer for
being a Christian, then he is not to be ashamed of it;
he should thank God that he has been called one.

The Word of the Lord



Gospel Acclamation    John 14:18

Alleluia, alleluia!
I will not leave you orphans, says the Lord;
I will come back to you, and your hearts will be full of joy.
Alleluia!



GOSPEL    John (17:1-11)
Father glorify your Son.

Jesus raised his eyes to heaven and said: ‘Father, the hour has
come: glorify your Son so that your Son may glorify you;
and, through the power over all mankind that you have given him,
let him give eternal life to all those you have entrusted to him. And
eternal life is this: to know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ
whom you have sent.
I have glorified you on earth and finished the work that you gave me
to do. Now, Father, it is time for you to glorify me with that glory I had
with you before ever the world was.
I have made your name known to the men you took from the world
to give me. They were yours and you gave them to me, and they
have kept your word. Now at last they know that all you given me
comes indeed from you;
for I have given them the teaching you gave to me, and they have
truly accepted this, that I came from you, and have believed that it
was you who sent me. I pray for them;
I am not praying for the world but for those you have given me,
because they belong to you: all I have is yours and all you have is
mine, and in them I am glorified. I am not in the world any longer,
but they are in the world, and I am coming to you.’

The Gospel of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment